Dancing Puppets

The purpose of this blog is to create a forum of meaningless and irrelevant rants for people with nothing better to do at that moment other than provide entertainment to others...

Name:
Location: United States

Why Dancing Puppets? It seems customary to begin your blog with an explanation as to why you chose the name you did. In this case - "Dancing Puppets" - there is a simple reason. As mentioned above in the description of this blog, the purpose is to provide a forum for nonsensical and senseless rantings or perhaps the occassional profound and logical argument. However, this is not to promote the marketplace of ideas, or the exercise of free speech. No, no, no... Rather this blog exists simply to provide a continuing source of entertainment to its readers, and more importantly, to me. As the great Stewie likes to say... "Dance Puppets, Dance!"

Thursday, March 03, 2005

Things That Made Me Cry…

Now I’m not usually such an emotional person, and even if I was, I wouldn’t tell you. I don’t cry in public or at movies – I’m simply too masculine for that, or too insecure, however you call it. I did not cry at my wedding, nor did I cry when the Challenger exploded. There are a few times though, where emotions overtook me, and I did in fact shed tears. I am not ashamed though. Here is the list of some of the things that made me cry:

- David Cone’s perfect game…

- ‘Hoosiers’…

- Thurman Munson dying – and I wasn’t even born yet. I watched the Yankeeography…

- ‘Field of Dreams’…

- ‘John Q.’ – I don’t to this day know why this of all regular non-sport movies got to me. ‘Hoosiers’ and ‘Field of Dreams’ make sense, baseball catch with dad, dramatic underdog victory under all kinds of adversity – that’s emotional stuff. Some kid needing a heart transplant… I don’t know what came over me…This one embarrasses me slightly…

- Bryce Drew – twice. This may fit into Noyam’s theory on the emotional pull of the father-son relationship to a guy. As he says, women do not understand this (see ‘Field of Dreams’, ‘Hoosiers’, Valparaiso, and hey – ‘John Q.’ – sweet vindication, I am not queer)…

- Watching the replay of the 1980 US defeat of Russia in Olympic hockey. Not the movie ‘Miracle’, the actual replaying of the game itself...

- When that high school kid’s grandfather was murdered, the kid went out and scored 61 points (grandpa’s age at death) the next game in his honor. The kid hit 61 early enough to exit the game mid-4th quarter. Oh, did I mention that kid is Chris Paul, Wake Forest Star and a player of the year candidate…

- When my 1 and half year old son came into the living room while I was watching the Eagles play the Falcons in the playoffs and pointed to the TV and said “Football” for the first time…

I guess some things just get to a guy… What made you cry?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This may be pretty random, but this is the one movie scene that no matter how many times I see it, I cry.
In Superman 2, after he changes back to Clark Kent, gets beaten up on TV, and sees Zod on TV, and he says he has to go back, and you see him walking in the North Pole and he sees a truck drive by and tries hitchiking and the truck drives right by.
Then he gets to what used to be his Ice Castle and he screams out his parents names. -
That whole scene always gets to me.

Thank you, and goodnight.

4:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matt Bahr made me cry...

4:37 PM  
Blogger Noyam said...

Three movie scenes get me:

Obviously, "Hey, Dad!" from Field of Dreams is #1. It gets me every time, even if I'm in a good mood when I watch it.

#2 is the speech the president gives in Independence Day, right after his wife dies. Also gets me a little misty.

Finally, after being dragged to the Chickest Chick Flick ever, Riding in Cards With Boys (that annoying Drew Barrymore movie), the scene when she chases the father out and the little boy runs after his father screaming for him not to leave...it got a little dusty in the theater.

10:21 AM  
Blogger General R. Blie said...

I don't normally get emotional at actual sporting events. When my team wins, it is more exciting than emotional.

However, the one time I do remember getting choked up was watching Brett Favre play great during a must-win game the day after his father died.

--General R. Blie

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
ISP Access Services