Dancing Puppets

The purpose of this blog is to create a forum of meaningless and irrelevant rants for people with nothing better to do at that moment other than provide entertainment to others...

Name:
Location: United States

Why Dancing Puppets? It seems customary to begin your blog with an explanation as to why you chose the name you did. In this case - "Dancing Puppets" - there is a simple reason. As mentioned above in the description of this blog, the purpose is to provide a forum for nonsensical and senseless rantings or perhaps the occassional profound and logical argument. However, this is not to promote the marketplace of ideas, or the exercise of free speech. No, no, no... Rather this blog exists simply to provide a continuing source of entertainment to its readers, and more importantly, to me. As the great Stewie likes to say... "Dance Puppets, Dance!"

Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Yes, it is derogatory…

Dear [circle one - ignorant/ultra-religious/socially-inept/living in a vacuum/ all of the above] people:

I have an update for you. A story came to my attention that irked me enough to write this. If there are other terms you feel should be added to the list, please help educate our ignorant public by adding a comment to this post.
There are certain phrases or terms used today in different circles that are not acceptable. People sometimes don’t know and sometimes don’t care. Either way, it bothers me, so stop.

Shvartza – is the Yiddish word for the color black. However, it is often used to describe a black person. A note to all you extremely religious and pious people who think it is ok to use this term in public and as a general reference to a black person – IT IS DEROGATORY!

I know where you learned the word. Your grandparents and great-grandparents like to talk about the shvartzas that moved in down the block with their loud music and baggy clothes. They were not just saying shvartza to describe the people; it is their way of saying the ‘N’ word. Now, I am not a champion of PC as you may well know from my post on the topic, but some things are just inexcusable. Hateful terms used to spread hate, or even in ignorance drive me nuts. So all you people out there that just repeat this word and use it in your everyday language – it is not acceptable. If somebody called you a kike in a different language, you would not appreciate it, trust me – it has happened to me.

The ‘N’ word – there is one place when this is allowed - That is when a black person uses it (generally during a basketball game in the park when yelling at a white kid for not passing the ball). Nonetheless, it does not matter how many times a black guy calls you (a white suburban Jewish kid) by the ‘N’ word, you are not to repeat it back – ever! Trust me I may be saving your life. I saw a Hispanic guy do it in the park once during a basketball game; it was not a comfortable situation. Don’t thank me - I’m just trying to help.

“Oh so your parents probably just give you money, right?” – NO! this is the worst of all, and I can’t tell you how many time I’ve heard it. Just because I’m a Jewish kid from Long Island does not mean my parents write me a check every month for rent and expenses (though I’m not saying I would say no if they wanted to). It amazes me that people assume this right off the bat. Some people work their asses off, even if they are from Long Island. You are insulting someone if you approach them with this phrase. I’d rather be called a ‘Jewboy’ – this way at least I can start a fight instead of just walking around pissed off.

‘Boy’ – This was a term used by slave-owners before the civil war to refer to their slaves. This may in fact be more derogatory than the ‘N’ word. Yet people use this term constantly as a type of street-talk or slang. It is not cool. If you have a slave, then you can call him boy. If you do not – please refrain from using this term. You think it sounds harmless? Go to Mississippi for a day and listen to the people there talk to and about black people – you will never use the term again.

Hubcaps – Not ALL Puerto Ricans steal hubcaps. Some of them just sell the stolen hubcaps. It’s a much safer job. Less risk. I’m kidding. But you see? This kind of comment is ok for a number of reasons: 1. I’m not racist. 2. It’s made in a joking fashion. 3. It does not incite others to hate. 4. It merely pokes fun at a ridiculous stereotype.

(See AA+PC=BS for more on Political Correctness) and feel free to add to this list. It is just a start.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree that it would not only be inappropriate, but also dangerous to call a black person the N word after being called the same.

My question is, what if the white boy retaliates with "Honky"? Is this inappropriate, or just dangerous?

1:49 PM  
Blogger EDS said...

THAT would be funny...

1:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anyone see "Be Cool?"

If this was true, they would kill Vince Vaughn.

What about calling gay people "faggot?"

3:28 PM  
Blogger EDS said...

If you're a homophobe, or say, participated in the murder of Matthew Sheppard, then it would probably be considered derogatory... But I'm no expert...

6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
ISP Access Services